Monday 7 November 2011

Who is the new Miss World 2011?



Miss Venezuela, Ivian Lunasol Sarcos Colmenares won the Miss World title for 2011.
Ivian, who studied nunnery for five years and wished to be a nun claimed the crown.
She won against  contestants from 122 countries on impressing the judges in the categories of beach beauty,  topmodel, talent, sports and beauty with a purpose–on which the contestants was involved in a charity project.
Ms. Calmonares became an orphan at an early age, she then studied nunnery and dreamt on being a nun. But her took a different turn and she studied a degree in Human  resources and  later on worked in a Broadcasting company before becoming a beauty queen.
When she was announced as the winner she was shocked and quite happy. She then said that she wants to use her title to help other people.
She was reportedly was the favourite on the pageant that night in Earls Court,London.
She said, “Winning means everything to  me and I hope I take advantage of being a winner in a productive manner. I’m unbelievably happy to have won and there are some incredible girls.
“I first and foremost want to help people in need. I would like to help people like me. I am an orphan. I would also like to help the elderly and troubled teenagers. As many people as I can.”
She added, “Unfortunately, I lost both of my parents at a very young age which led me to study for five years in a nunnery. I spent my five years in there and my dream was to become a nun.”
People around the world watched the contest and reacted on Facebook and Twitter.
The runner-up winners was Ms. Philippines, Gwendoline GaelleSandrine Ruais and Ms Puerto Rico, Amanda Victoria Vilanova Perez.
The competition this year was held in London to celebrate the pageant’s diamond anniversary. The first Ms. World was held in London in 1951, during the Festival in Britain on the SouthBank of the River Thames.
Campaign Groups like London Feminist Network, Object and UK feminista were outside the East Court London  representing that beauty contest is a ‘sexist contest’
On the website of London Feminist Network they posted a statement saying, “Let the  organizers and  all those profiting from the event know that we are all angry that such an event is once again being held in London. Bring placards, banners and raise your voice against this appalling offence against women equality.Let them know loud and clear that this event has no place in London 2011.”
Miss England director Angie Beasley answered back and said the contest had changed with times because it no longer just about looking good in swimwear.
She said, “There is a talent, sports and beauty with a purpose round, which is the fundraising round, in the contest and the girls love taking part.”
She added, “Yes, they have to look great to win but it’s so much more than a beauty contest. These people should give it a chance instead of thinking it’s just a bikini parade.”
“I’m all for women standing up for what they believe in which is why I run Miss England. But I’m fed up with all the protesters trying to bully us and push as around”
“We live in a free society where women has the right to choose. The contestants in Miss World are quite capable of making their own minds if they want to enter or  not and  protesters should not keep criticising the same decision. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it.”
As for Ms. Venezuela’s new title, she will also spend a year visiting and supporting a range of global charity projects supported by Miss World’s Beauty with A Purpose Programme.

No comments:

Post a Comment